After studying under the sculptor Alojzij Repič at the Arts and Crafts School in Ljubljana, Lojze Dolinar continued his training at the academies in Vienna (1910/1911) and Munich (1912/1913). He was called up to serve in the army during the First World War. In 1920 he spent a few months in New York. He later travelled around Italy and spent some time in Paris. In 1932 he moved to Belgrade, where in 1949 he was appointed a full professor of sculpture at the Academy of Arts.
Dolinar sculpted his first little Sphinx, gazing at the world through a cat’s eyes, in 1912. In 1926 he created another Sphinx, this time depicted as a seated female figure with her upper body twisted to the left in a catlike manner, an enigmatic expression on her inscrutable face and her eyes closed. With its echoes of Art Nouveau stylistic elements, the work alludes to the sculptor’s earlier treatment of this subject. The sculpture is part of a series of reclining or seated bronze female nudes in thoughtful poses created by Dolinar in the 1920s.