(1st half 17th cent.), oil, canvas, 119 x 95 cm
NG S 1299, National Gallery of Slovenia, Ljubljana
This impressive painting, whose authorship is still unknown, combines stylistic elements of both Genoese and Milanese painting and it seems reasonable to date it between 1630 and 1650. The compact composition and the strong contrasts of light and shade indicate that the artist was familiar with the work of Luca Cambiaso and the Genoese Mannerists connected with the latter, while the typology is reminiscent of Milanese painting, such as the work of Giovanni Battista Crespi, called Cerano, and his circle.
Provenance: Staff doctor, Dr. Wotypka, Graz; Strahl collection, Stara Loka, until 1930; purchased by the Narodna galerija in 1930, old Inv. No. 111 (Bolognese School).
Exhibitions: 1930, Ljubljana, no catalogue; 1960, Ljubljana, No. 25; 1983, Ljubljana, No. 33.
Lit.: Polec 1930b, p. 161, Cat. No. 327 (style of J. Ribera, called Lo Spagnoletto); Mikuž 1941, p. 173 with Fig. (Bolognese School); Cevc 1960, p. 22, Cat. No. 25 (Lorenzo Garbieri); Rizzi 1972, p. 133 (Bolognese, 17C); Zeri [& Rozman] 1983, p. 38, Cat. No. 33, Fig. 32.